Off the beaten track lies adventure. The off-roading enthusiast, for that reason, is looking only for the best off-road cars in India. Today, we look at the Mahindra XUV700 and Isuzu V-Cross, and find out what draws off-roaders to them.
In this article, we will share
- What an off-roading enthusiast looks for in a car
- Mahindra XUV700 vs Isuzu V-Cross – an in-depth look at their variants, features, and off-roading capabilities
- How to pick the right car for you
What an Off-roading Enthusiast Looks for in a Car
Here’s what to look for in a car as an off-roading enthusiast:
- Drive system – What drive system does the vehicle have (FWD, AWD, or 4X4)
- Ground clearance – the car should have high ground clearance to tackle uneven terrains
- Low range gearing – the car should have low range gearing to allow the vehicle to drive at lower speeds while still operating the usable power band/RPM of the entire engine
- Locking differential – the vehicle should have differential locking for better traction when driving on soft, muddy or uneven surfaces
- Engine power and torque – the engine should have adequate power and generate enough torque
- Safety – safety features are important, especially when traveling through challenging terrains
- Comfort and convenience – the vehicle should offer good comfort, as well as convenience features
For an offroading enthusiast, a vehicle that can dominate challenging terrains is paramount. Critical features include a sturdy engine with swift torque response, drive types like 4WD or AWD, and significant ground clearance in top SUVs for off-roading.
Approach and departure angles, determining the car’s ability to tackle steep inclines without damage, are essential. Additionally, differential locking and low-range gearing provide enhanced traction on rugged terrains. Safety features like ABS, ESC, and hill hold assist boost confidence during offroading escapades.
Why Mahindra XUV700 and Isuzu V-Cross are Popular
Both the Mahindra XUV700 and Isuzu V-Cross have cemented their positions in the hearts of off-roading aficionados. The XUV700, with its blend of power and technology, offers not just off-roading prowess but also city-friendly characteristics. Its engine variations and the availability of AWD in certain models make it a versatile choice for many.
On the other hand, the Isuzu V-Cross has a reputation for being a rugged 4WD machine. Built on a legacy of durability and raw power, the V-Cross is a pure off-roader. Its built-to-last design and focus on core off-roading features make it a favorite for those looking to conquer challenging terrains without any fuss.
In short, both have proven to be good off-road vehicles in India, and are quite capable vehicles – be it mild or serious off-roading.
Mahindra XUV700 and Isuzu V-Cross Variants Shortlist in Rs 24-27 Lakh Range
For Mahindra XUV700, we have:
|Variant||Price (INR) as on 18 September 2023|
|AX7 AT Luxury Pack||₹24,35,000|
|AX7 AWD Diesel AT||₹24,41,000|
|AX7 Diesel AT Luxury Pack||₹24,89,000|
|AX7 Diesel AT Luxury Pack AWD||₹26,18,000|
For Isuzu V-Cross, we have:
|Variant||Price (INR) as on 18 September 2023|
|4×4 Z Prestige AT||₹27,00,000|
Mahindra XUV700 AX7 AT Luxury Pack
This variant, with FWD, may not be the first choice for hardcore offroading but offers quick engine responsiveness, a significant ground clearance of 200mm, and crucial safety features like ABS and ESC. If you’re a tech-savvy gadget lover, you can read our comparison of the XUV700 with MG Hector.
Mahindra XUV700 AX7 AWD Diesel AT
This variant offers AWD, ensuring superior traction on challenging terrains. Quick engine responsiveness, 200mm ground clearance, and safety features further enhance its offroading capabilities.
Mahindra XUV700 AX7 Diesel AT Luxury Pack
Similar to the AX7 AT Luxury Pack but with a diesel engine, it maintains the same offroading capabilities and safety features, making it a strong contender. If you enjoy long-distance road trips, you can check out our comparison of the XUV700 with Toyota Innova Hycross.
Mahindra XUV700 AX7 Diesel AT Luxury Pack AWD
This is the higher-end model of the XUV700 with AWD, ensuring even better traction on off-road terrains. With all the robust features of the previous variants, its price is justified by the advanced features it offers.
Isuzu V-Cross 4×4 Z Prestige AT
A true offroader with 4WD, this variant offers moderate engine responsiveness, an impressive 225mm ground clearance, differential locking, and low-range gearing. These features make it a solid choice for offroading enthusiasts. We also have our comparison of the V-Cross with Toyota Hilux for off-roading enthusiasts.
Our Pick for the Best Variant Among Mahindra XUV700 and Isuzu V-Cross for Offroading Enthusiasts
The Isuzu V-Cross 4×4 Z Prestige AT stands out as the best choice. Its 4WD capability ensures optimal traction on challenging terrains. The ground clearance of 225mm, combined with differential locking and low-range gearing, provides unmatched offroading prowess.
While the XUV700 variants offer impressive features, the V-Cross’s focus on core offroading attributes gives it an edge for the true off-roading enthusiast.
The Top 3 Choices
- Isuzu V-Cross 4×4 Z Prestige AT
- Mahindra XUV700 AX7 Diesel AT Luxury Pack AWD
- Mahindra XUV700 AX7 AWD Diesel AT
|Attribute||Isuzu V-Cross||Mahindra XUV700 AX7 Diesel AT AWD||Mahindra XUV700 AX7 AWD Diesel|
|Engine Power (BHP)||160.92||182.38||182.38|
|Engine Torque (Nm)||360||450||450|
|Ground Clearance (mm)||225||200||200|
|Low Range Gearing||Yes||Yes||Yes|
How to Pick the Right Car for You
- The Isuzu V-Cross 4×4 Z Prestige AT, with its superior offroading features and 4WD, stands as the best choice. For pure offroading capabilities, the V-Cross is unmatched.
- The two XUV700 variants, though close contenders, offer AWD, making them versatile for both city and offroading use.
The high ground clearance and core offroading attributes of these variants ensure thrilling adventures for off-roading enthusiasts – whether it is water-wading, or traversing through rough or muddy terrains or sand.
If you’re interested in reading more such face-to-face comparisons of popular car variants, head over to our Buying Advice section.