Off the beaten track lies adventure. The off-roading enthusiast, for that reason, is looking only for the best off-road cars in India. Today, we look at the Toyota Hilux and Isuzu MU-X, and find out what draws off-roaders to them.
In this article, we will share
- What an off-roading enthusiast looks for in a car
- Toyota Hilux vs Isuzu MU-X – an in-depth look at their variants, features, and off-roading capabilities
- How to pick the right car for you
What an Offroading Enthusiast looks for in a car
Here’s what to look for in a car as an off-roading enthusiast:
- Drive system – What drive system does the vehicle have (FWD, AWD, or 4X4)
- Ground clearance – the car should have high ground clearance to tackle uneven terrains
- Low range gearing – the car should have low range gearing to allow the vehicle to drive at lower speeds while still operating the usable power band/RPM of the entire engine
- Locking differential – the vehicle should have differential locking for better traction when driving on soft, muddy or uneven surfaces
- Engine power and torque – the engine should have adequate power and generate enough torque
- Safety – safety features are important, especially when traveling through challenging terrains
- Comfort and convenience – the vehicle should offer good comfort, as well as convenience features
An offroading enthusiast requires a vehicle that is rugged, durable, and capable of handling various terrains. Vital attributes in top SUVs for off-roading include 4WD or AWD systems, high ground clearance, good approach and departure angles, low-range gearing, and differential locking. Engine responsiveness, torque, and power are essential to navigate tough trails.
Furthermore, enhanced safety features like ABS, ESC, and hill-hold assist ensure a confident and secure driving experience. Lastly, interior comfort and visibility matter, making offroading trips enjoyable.
Why Toyota Hilux and Isuzu MU-X are Popular
Both the Toyota Hilux and the Isuzu MU-X have garnered fame as capable off-road vehicles in India.
The Toyota Hilux, often dubbed the “indestructible truck”, boasts an impressive heritage of resilience and capability, often favored in global regions for its dependability. The 4WD system, coupled with a robust engine, makes it an off-roader’s dream.
Meanwhile, the Isuzu MU-X, stemming from a lineage of tough SUVs, combines comfort with off-roading prowess. Its powerful torque, high ground clearance, and 4WD variant are particularly appealing to those who want both city and adventure driving.
Both vehicles offer a blend of performance, safety, and durability, making them top picks for offroading aficionados for mild to serious off-roading.
Toyota Hilux and Isuzu MU-X Variants Shortlist in Rs 35-40 Lakh Range
For Toyota Hilux, we have:
|Variant||Price (INR) as on 18 September 2023|
For Isuzu MU-X, we have:
|Variant||Price (INR) as on 18 September 2023|
Toyota Hilux High
With a 4WD system, impressive engine power, and a linear power delivery, it’s designed to tackle rugged terrains. The approach and departure angles further bolster its off-roading credentials. You can also check out how the Hilux stacks up against Isuzu V-Cross for off-roading enthusiasts.
Toyota Hilux High AT
This automatic variant offers the same off-roading capabilities as the High model, with the added convenience of an automatic transmission. We have also compared the Hilux with Toyota Fortuner for off-roading enthusiasts.
Isuzu MU-X 4X2 AT
Although it’s a FWD, its high ground clearance makes it suitable for light off-road trails. A good choice for those who mainly drive in the city but occasionally venture off the beaten path.
Isuzu MU-X 4×4 AT
Combining the comfort of an automatic transmission with 4WD capabilities, it’s a versatile choice for serious off-road enthusiasts.
Our Pick for the Best variant among Toyota Hilux and Isuzu MU-X for Offroading Enthusiasts
The crown for the best variant undeniably goes to the Toyota Hilux High AT. While both brands offer compelling features, the Hilux’s superior engine power, combined with a 4WD system and a torque converter, ensures seamless power transition on rough terrains.
The approach and departure angles, crucial for avoiding undersurface hits during extreme off-roading, are commendable in the Hilux High AT.
The ground clearance, although lesser than the MU-X, is complemented by its other robust off-roading features, making it a more holistic choice for any off-roading enthusiast.
The Top 3 choices
- Toyota Hilux High AT
- Toyota Hilux High
- Isuzu MU-X 4×4 AT
|Attributes||Toyota Hilux High AT||Toyota Hilux High||Isuzu MU-X 4×4 AT|
|Engine Power (BHP)||201.15||201.15||160.92|
|Offroading – Approach angle||29||29||Linear|
|Offroading – Departure angle||26||26||Linear|
How to Pick the Right Car for You
- The Hilux High AT takes the lead with its automatic convenience.
- The Hilux High follows closely, offering similar features without automatic transmission.
- The Isuzu MU-X 4×4 AT, though slightly less powerful, offers a commendable ground clearance and 4WD capabilities, making it a worthy contender.
In essence, these three are tailor-made for off-roading enthusiasts, promising thrilling adventures on uncharted, rugged terrains – whether it is water-wading, or traversing through rough, muddy terrains or sand.
If you’re interested in reading more such face-to-face comparisons of popular car variants, head over to our Buying Advice section.