Advertisement

New Maruti Swift Dethrones Tata Punch As India’s Best Selling Car

maruti swift beats tata punch

The country’s largest carmaker, Maruti Suzuki, has once again made it back to the top of the best-selling cars chart with the new 2024 Swift. In the month of May, Maruti Suzuki managed to overtake the Tata Punch with its new Swift to become the best-selling car in India. The Maruti Suzuki Swift, which hit the market in early May, recorded impressive sales figures, selling 19,393 units, surpassing the Tata Punch’s 18,949 units.

New Maruti Swift Dethrones Tata Punch As India’s Best Selling Car
Swift Epic Edition

Maruti Swift vs. Tata Punch: Sales Analysis

The Tata Punch had a strong performance in the previous months. It topped the charts with 17,547 units sold in March. It had an even more successful month in April with 19,158 units sold. However, despite this momentum, the Tata Punch’s sales saw a slight decline in May. Last month, its sales fell to 18,949 units.

This dip allowed the newly launched Swift to take the lead. As mentioned, last month the company managed to dispatch a total of 19,393 units of the Swift. It also reported that the most popular variant among the buyers in the country is the VXI variant.

New Maruti Swift Dethrones Tata Punch As India’s Best Selling Car

The Tata Punch has managed to sweep the markets in months before May because of various reasons. The Punch is currently priced between Rs 6.13 lakh and Rs 10.20 lakh for the ICE version. On the other hand, Tata Motors also offers the Punch with an EV drivetrain starting at Rs 10.99 lakh to Rs 15.49 lakh. It is because of these diverse powertrain options that the Punch managed to take the top spot.

Other Rivals of the New Swift

New Maruti Swift Dethrones Tata Punch As India’s Best Selling Car
Hyundai Exter

Apart from the Tata Punch, the Swift does not have very fierce competition with any other model in the country. The direct rival to the Swift, Hyundai Grand i10 Nios, has only managed to post sales of 5,328 units in May. Similarly, the Hyundai Exter sold 7,697 units.

Swift Has Already Garnered 40,000 Bookings

Maruti Suzuki has reported that the new Swift has already garnered over 40,000 bookings. According to the company, 83% of these bookings are for the manual transmission variants. Meanwhile, the remaining 17% are for the AGS or AMT variants.

The company also reported that VXI and VXI (O) variants, which sit in the middle of the lineup, have made up 60 percent of total sales and bookings. On the other hand, the entry-level LXI has a share of 11 percent. Lastly, the top-spec variants of the Swift – ZXI and ZXI+ – have covered 19 percent of the total number of bookings.

What’s the Reason Behind Swift’s Popularity?

New Maruti Swift Dethrones Tata Punch As India’s Best Selling Car

The Swift over the years has become a household name. It has been topping the sales charts for a long time, and several factors have contributed to Swift’s rise to the top. The first reason is its compact size. It is an ideal vehicle for the congested city roads.

Despite its compact dimensions, it still offers enough space to comfortably seat five passengers. Another very important reason behind its success is its fuel efficiency. The 5-speed manual variant offers a mileage of 24.8 kmpl. On the other hand, the AMT variant delivers an impressive 25.75 kmpl.

New Maruti Swift Dethrones Tata Punch As India’s Best Selling Car

Its design is also very simple yet modern and appealing. The best part about its design is that it resonates with both young and older buyers. Additionally, the new 2024 Swift has now become a lot more feature-loaded. It comes with features such as a 9-inch Smartplay Pro infotainment screen, automatic climate control, wireless charging, and Arkamys sound system.

It also gets LED headlights, DRLs, and LED taillights. Lastly, the Swift also banks on the reputation of Maruti Suzuki for producing reliable vehicles with low maintenance costs. The Swift also retains a high resale value as well.