Classic Legends to reintroduce Yezdi brand, & 650cc BSA motorcycles

Classic Legends revived the Jawa brand in 2018. They launched the Jawa Jawa and Jawa 42. Now, Classic Legends will be introducing two more legendary brands known as the Yezdi and the BSA. The manufacturer is planning to launch the Yezdi in Quarter 3 of FY22. They are also working on a new 650 cc engine that will be launched under the BSA brand.

Classic Legends to reintroduce Yezdi brand, & 650cc BSA motorcycles

The Yezdi will be reintroduced to the Indian market before Diwali this year. It is being done because Yezdi holds an important sentimental value among the people of India. This has a huge potential in terms of increasing the sales volume and scaling the business for Classic Legends.

“The re-introduction of the Yezdi brand in the domestic market is being planned for the pre-Diwali period this year. The revival of Yezdi is not only at the core of what Classic Legends intends to do but is also critical for its survival in terms of scaling up the business volumes and that of the vendors and the dealers while improving their viability,”

Classic Legends to reintroduce Yezdi brand, & 650cc BSA motorcycles

Yezdi will also use the same 293 cc, liquid-cooled, single-cylinder engine that we have seen on the Jawa and the 42. The engine produces 27.51 PS of max power and 27.05 Nm of peak torque. It comes mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox. There is also a larger 334 cc, liquid-cooled, single-cylinder engine which is only offered on Jawa’s Perak which is the current flagship for Classic Legends. The Perak is also the most affordable bobber available in the Indian market.

Classic Legends has a cumulative sales of 50,000 units across 200 outlets spread across our country. They did face issues in starting to deliver the motorcycles timely but eventually, they did manage to increase the production capacity from 4,000 units to 7,000 units. Some dealers have revealed that sales per outlet do not justify the investments needed to open a dealership. There is a relatively large dealer network that is only selling 3 models. This is where the Yezdi comes into play. “This is where Yezdi is expected to play a key role in bringing additional volumes, once the bikes are launched,” said a person related to the manufacturer. The new motorcycles will also be built on the same assembly line as other Jawa motorcycles. The production plant is located in Pithampur, Madhya Pradesh.

Rajesh Jejurikar, executive director, auto and farm sectors, M&M, said, “Jawa had built a strong brand momentum but the slowdown and the second wave of COVID-19 infections have impacted the demand. As a result, the business has been down for the past 2 months.” It has been 5 years since the Classic Legends brand was revived. 60 percent stake in the brand is owned by Mahindra and Mahindra while the rest 40 percent is owned by Anupam Thareja and Boman Irani. Anupam is the founder of Classic Legends while Boman is the chairman and managing director, Rustomjee Group.

New 650 cc engines for BSA

The manufacturer has also developed a new 650 cc engine that is currently in its advanced stage of testing. It will be used for the BSA motorcycles. “The middleweight engine would power the motorcycles planned for the revival of the BSA. It is being fine-tuned for handling, dynamics and compliance with the emission norms of the UK as test runs are being conducted currently,” the first-person said.

Classic Legends to reintroduce Yezdi brand, & 650cc BSA motorcycles
Royal Enfield 650 Twins

The BSA motorcycles will be built on a different assembly line that has already been setup at the manufacturing plant. The 650 cc motorcycles should go against the 650 twins that are sold by Royal Enfield. The Interceptor 650 and the Continental GT 650 are an incredibly successful product for the manufacturer.