Lambretta scooters all set to make a comeback to India

Lambretta was once a very popular name among two-wheeler customers in India. The retro scooters from the Italian manufacturer were once a common sight on our roads. Now, according to a report, Lambretta is now planning to make its way back to Indian market. The Italian scooter brand will be partnering with Bird Mobility for its comeback in India.

Lambretta scooters all set to make a comeback to India

Talking to Economic Times, Walter Scheffrahn, owner of Innocenti SA, which owns Lambretta globally said, “The brand has its soul in India and it has tremendous affinity amongst the masses. We want to recreate the magic of the past. We aim to make it a Ferrari of scooters in India with our top-end range.” The brand also has plans to infuse over $200 million in India in the next five years. Innocenti SA will unveil a variety of models in the market and also plans to bring an electric scooter in 2024. Most of the models that Lambretta  will be high-powered by scooters with capacities between 200 cc – 300 cc.

What is even important than launching new products in India is that Lambretta even has plans to start local production. With production in India, Lambretta would focus on exports to other markets including Italy. Lmabretta scooters are not going to be the most affordable scooters in India when launched. It is is most likely to be expensive than any other premium scooter that is currently on sale in India. As mentioned above Lambretta will be entering Indian market after partnering with Bird Mobility. 51 percent of entity will be owned by Lambretta and the remaining 49 percent by Bird Group.

Lambretta scooters all set to make a comeback to India

Lambretta has managed to sell over 1 lakh units of scooters globally. With entrance to Indian market, the numbers are expected to go up. Currently, Lambretta is available in around 70 countries. Manufacturing units are currently lcated in Europe and South East Asia. If they set up a manufacturing facility in India, it is going to be the biggest one yet. The manufacturer plans to set up a facility with a capacity of 1,00,000 units at Manesa by 2024.

Earlier this year, the iconic two-wheeler manufacturer from Italy Lambretta two new scooters in Milan. The scooters G350 and X300 were showcased at the Milan Design Week 2022. Just like many other manufacturers, Lambretta is also offering modern features with its scooter while maintaining the retro looks. Lambretta will be unveiling G, V and X model scooters in India. The G350 scooter fro Lambretta gets a TFT instrument cluster, USB charger, double arm-link suspension with ABS, Lambretta’s signature hexagonal design full LED headlamp, LED tail lights and so on.

The X300 gets a semi-digital instrument cluster, smart keyless entry, LED headlamps and tail lamps, disc brakes with ABS and many more features. G350 is powered by 300-cc, single cylinder, liquid-cooled engine that generates 27 Bhp and 27 Nm of peak torque. The engine is mated to an automatic gearbox. The X300 uses a 275-cc, liquid-cooled engine that generates 24 Bhp and 24.5 Nm of peak torque. This scooter is also mated to an automatic scooter.