The Mahindra business conglomerate also plays host to Defense Land systems, a collaborative effort between Mahindra and BAE Systems. Defense Land Systems builds armored vehicles for the military and civilians. Elections are in the air and demand for SUVs is peaking.
Click here to check out CarToq’s profile of Indian politician’s favourite SUVs. At this juncture, Mahindra has readied up a bullet proof package for its best selling SUV, the Scorpio. The Scorpio SUV will be bullet proofed against 9 mm bullets at a price of 16.07 lakh rupees.
Here is how it works.
- You buy a Scorpio variant of your choice from a Mahindra showroom.
- You then log on to online marketplace Snapdeal and book a bullet proof system for your Scorpio.
- Defense Land System will pick up your Scorpio SUV, bullet-proof it and then deliver it back to your doorstep.
- The bullet-proofing will happen at Defense Land System’s workshops and the company is offering a 2 year warranty on the bullet-proofed Scorpio.
- The balance amount of 15.33 lakh rupees has to be paid to Defence Land System at the time of vehicle pick up.
- Defence Land System also bullet-proofs the Bolero MUV, another highly popular vehicle pressed into election duty.
The Mahindra Scorpio sold in India comes in a range of variants. The SUV body style is the most popular design although Mahindra does offer the Scorpio in twin cab pick up truck guise through the Getaway model. The Scorpio features three engines and two gearbox options.
The 2.5 liter M2DiCR turbo diesel engine (75 Bhp-220 Nm) and 5 speed manual gearbox combination is offered on the cut-price Scorpio EX variant while the Getaway pick up truck gets a 2.6 liter CRDe turbo diesel motor (115 Bhp-280 Nm) and a 5 speed manual gearbox.
All other variants of the Scorpio are powered by the 2.2 liter mHawk turbo diesel (120 Bhp-290 Nm) engine mated to a 5 speed manual gearbox. A 6 speed automatic gearbox is offered as an option. A four wheel drive system is offered on the Getaway, Scorpio LX and VLX variants.