Man rides with venomous snake in helmet for 11 Kms

A man from Kerala did the unthinkable. He rode his motorcycle for 11 kilometers with a highly venomous snake inside his helmet. Ranjith, a school teacher who teaches Sanskrit, was later taken to a Taluk hospital, where his blood was checked for venom. Surprisingly, he wasn’t bitten by the snake, which had died by then, reports Mathrubhumi.

Man rides with venomous snake in helmet for 11 Kms

Not aware of the snake’s presence in his helmet, Ranjith left his home for Kandanad St.Mary’s High School at 830 AM on the 5th of February. After finishing his class at the Kandanad school, which was about 5 kilometers from his house, he left for another school at 1130 AM. Upon reaching the second school – Thripunithura RLV school – situated 6 kms away from Kandanad school, the teacher discovered the snake in his helmet. The snake – the highly poisonous Common Krait, was dead by then, crushed inside the helmet. The teacher has now discarded the helmet, burning it down. Meanwhile, here’s what he had to say about the incident,

I think the snake might have got into the helmet from the pond near my house. The snake was inside my helmet for a long time, but I never felt anything unusual while wearing it.

Kerala is one of the wetter and greener states of India, where the snake population is quite high. Residents of India’s south western state live in harmony with snakes and often encounter snakes as they go about regular life. Mos encounters are harmless. Recently, a school girl in Malappuram district of Kerala found a snake in her schoolbag, and luckily was unharmed.

Snakes often seek warm and cozy places to rest, and automobiles – with many hiding spots for these reptiles – present great spots for them to rest. Snakes curling up in cars is quite common in Kerala, and sometimes, they are found hiding even in motorcycles. In such situations, it’s best to get away from the vehicle as calmly as possible, and engage the services of a professional snake catcher to catch and release the snake in the wild. If bitten by a snake, seek professional medical help immediately. 

While most snakes are non-venomous, most people will find it difficult to recognize a venomous snake from a non-venomous one. It’s not a wise thing to attempt catching or killing a snake on your own. Snakes are important for bio-diversity, and should not be killed, but rather relocated to some place in the wild. If you live in a snake infested region, keep the phone numbers of professional snake catchers handy. You never know when you’ll need their services.