Royal Enfield 650 twins: 4 out of 5 buyers opting for the Interceptor over the Continental GT

The Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 is clearly turning out to be the more popular one of the newly launched 650cc twins. According to Motorbeam’s sources, 4 out of 5 Royal Enfield 650 motorcycle buyers are opting for the Interceptor, which translates to 80 % of total sales. The Continental GT 650 makes up the rest of the 20 %. This isn’t surprising considering the ergonomics of both motorcycles.

Royal Enfield 650 twins: 4 out of 5 buyers opting for the Interceptor over the Continental GT

While the Interceptor 650 has an upright riding position that is meant to make riders comfortable in both city commutes and highway rides, the Continental GT 650 has a much more aggressive riding posture, suited more for shorter runs. The Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 is the quintessential cafe racer motorcycle, and is likely to be preferred by those who want the sportiest Royal Enfield, mainly for weekend rides around town.

Both the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 are mechanically alike. Apart from stylistic and ergonomic differences, there’s little to distinguish both machines overall. Both bikes are powered by a 650cc, four stroke parallel twin engine with a 270 degree firing angle. This approach allows the engine to make bagfuls of low end torque, and also a sweet burble from the exhaust that sounds very good and adds character.

Royal Enfield 650 twins: 4 out of 5 buyers opting for the Interceptor over the Continental GT

Designed from a clean sheet, this engine has been tested extensively by Royal Enfield. It offers a range of features previously unseen on Royal Enfield engines, and is the most advanced motor the brand has brought to the market. The motor makes 47 Bhp of peak power and 52 Nm of peak torque. Fuel injection, four valve heads, a single overhead camshaft and air-oil cooling are standard. The engine is paired with a 6 speed manual gearbox with a slipper clutch.

Interestingly, many traditional Royal Enfield buyers are said to be staying away from the 650cc twins due to the exhaust note, which is more of a burble than a thump. So, enthusiasts seeking the typical Royal Enfield thump will have to go back to the 350cc and 500cc single cylinder motorcycles that the brand still sells. However, we believe that the new 650cc twins will attract a range of new buyers to the Royal Enfield fold, which is a very good thing.

Both motorcycles also get a range of Royal Enfield official accessories. From bash plates for the engine to crash guards and saddle bags, there’s a lot of offer in terms of accessories. These accessories are available to order from Royal Enfield dealerships, who will also handle fitments. Considering that these accessories are officially sold by Royal Enfield after extensive testing, the standard warranty of the motorcycles will remain unaffected.

The aftermarket is also likely to come up with a wide range of accessories for the Royal Enfield 650s. A lot of buyers are eagerly waiting for after market exhausts, which bring out the full potential of the exhaust note that the parallel twin engine with the 270 degree firing angle is capable of emitting. We expect gruff sounding Royal Enfield 650s on Indian roads soon.