Mahindra is all set to launch its third offering in the sub-4 meter compact SUV segment. The Ssangyong Tivoli-based SUV is Mahindra’s next big compact SUV launch. It’s codenamed the S201. A person who was part of the select few invited by Mahindra to give feedback about the upcoming S201 compact SUV has revealed the following details about the new vehicle, after a test drive.
- The grille of the S201 is inspired by the Mahindra XUV500 Facelift. The compact SUV’s styling was not overdone, and looks quite classy.
- It rides on 17-inch wheels, which is a segment-best feature, offered only by the Ford EcoSport so far.
- The Mahindra S201 uses a 1.5-litre turbocharged diesel engine tuned to output 113 Bhp of peak power. The torque figures remain under wraps for now. The engine is punchy.
- The suspension was soft and absorbent.
- The SUV featured LED DRLs, LED tail lamps and the overall design at the front and rear was different from that of the Ssangyong Tivoli.
- It was loaded to the brim with features such as seats, push-button engine start/keyless entry, sunroof and seven airbags including knee, side and curtain airbags. This makes the Mahindra S201 one of the best equipped sub-4 meter SUVs in India.
- The launch will happen within the next two months, which means that the S201 could be here well in time for the Indian festive season.
The Mahindra S201 will be followed by a longer bodied, 7-seat variant. The sub-4 meter offering will offer only 5 seats though. The S201 is also expected to get a 1.2-litre, turbocharged petrol engine option with class-leading power and torque outputs. It will be the first monocoque, sub-4 meter compact SUV from Mahindra considering the fact that both the TUV300 and Nuvosport are body-on-ladder SUVs. We’re not considering the KUV100 as a compact SUV here. The S201 will be front-wheel driven, and an all-wheel drive option may not be offered in India considering the low demand for such an option.