Tata explains Nexon EV fire incident in Pune

A viral video of Tata Nexon EV on fire became viral on the Internet a few days ago. The incident from Pune showed the Tata Nexon EV parked in the middle of the road and the authorities trying to douse the fire. Now Tata Motors has released an official statement saying that the vehicle was repaired at an unauthorised workshop.

The incident took place on 16th April. The car caught fire and was stranded in the middle of the road. A video surfaced online that shows the gutted front-end of the Tata Nexon EV. The fire seems to have started at the front-left quarter.

Tata Electric Mobility has now released a statement. In the statement Tata claims that the vehicle was repaired at an unauthorised service centre. The vehicle’s left headlamp was replaced and it was done improperly. The job led to short circuit that caused the fire.

In the official statement Tata Motors says,

“We understand that this vehicle recently underwent repairs, wherein the left headlamps were replaced at an unauthorized workshop. Over an extended period of time, this led to a short and trapped heat. The fitment and repair process, at the unauthorized workshop, had shortcomings, which caused an electrical malfunction in the headlamp area leading to the thermal incident. The affected area is concentrated only in the zone of repairs carried out. We remain engaged with the customer to offer all the support needed.

Our appeal to all customers – The automotive market is constantly evolving with new technologies and modern electronic parts, both in ICE cars and EVs, which requires trained craftsmanship. For the safety of our users, we urge our customers to get their vehicles fitted with on-spec components, accessories, spare parts at authorized Tata Motors workshops, to avoid any such incidents.

Nexon EV caught fire last year

In June 2022, a Tata Nexon EV parked outside a restaurant in Mumbai caught fire, with the blaze originating from under the car. It was suspected that the SUV’s battery had been damaged and had caused the fire. In response to the incident, Tata Motors released an official statement pledging to thoroughly investigate the matter. The company also reassured the public that its products undergo rigorous testing.

It is important to mention that despite the incident, the Tata Nexon EV still holds the top position as the best-selling electric car in India. The fire could have been caused by several factors, such as short-circuiting, issues with the battery management system, or overcharging, to name a few. Similar cases of electric scooters from various manufacturers catching fire have been reported in the past.

If an unauthorized person repairs your car and the dealership discovers it, the warranty will be voided. Untrained individuals may tamper with your vehicle and cause damage to it. Even if you encounter a problem while on the road, it is advisable to use roadside assistance to take your car to an authorized service center if it is still covered by the warranty.

Also read: Tata Nexon price increased; Diesel variants discontinued

CarToq Shorts: Volkswagen’s first EV for India